Saturday, December 6, 2025

My dad

 Health update for the day:

Health today: I'm just not feeling all that great today. There is so much that happens to your body after surgeries, chemotherapy, radiation, and everything else to survive.  A few years ago, I had a hemorrhoidectomy surgery due to complications after my other surgery. I developed diarrhea for years. This helped me so much, but from time to time, I have issues down there, and today it's just kicking my butt. I take Capcidbine, which is an oral chemo pill, 15 days on and 7 days off. This chemo has been the only one that has kept my cancer at bay, along with Bevacizumab, which I infuse every three weeks. They go together when fighting this damn disease. There is always tomorrow!

As my day goes on, I sit at my desk wondering what to write, and my cute dad comes to my mind, like he does every day. I want to try and give my days purpose, and going to try and write about my wonderful family. 

My Dad! What is there to say about an amazing man, human dad and grampa, I'm so grateful to of had him with me as long as I did. I have had a wonderful life growing up in this small town of Cove. My dad was a hard-working man; he was up at the crack of dawn and headed to the Station. He wouldn't get home till late at night. 


A few things I remember that he and I would do was fish. My grandparents George and Alice Williams had a place on the Dike Lake( Blackfoot Reservoir) in Soda Springs Idaho. Was a spot that our family would go and fish and laugh. They had a boat and they called it the leaky teaky. You had to make sure that you had a can to take with so you could get the water out as it leaked in..... 
On one of our trips, we had in the boat with us My dad, Casey Cody and me. I had to have been pretty young, I was so fascinated by the fish that we had on the chain. I hung over the side to the boat and there seem to be tons of fish on it but I'm sure there were three or four. I kept pulling it up to look at the fish and some when I went to put them back down in the water the chain and all the fish drop in the lake. I never said anything but by the time we got back to the dock the boys asked , I said " They fell to the bottom". Pretty sure they were mad but hell I was a kid. 

As a family we would always try and get together on Sunday afternoon, my mom and dad would cook Dutch oven chicken and potatoes for the whole damn family plus anyone else that mom would flag down. She had a habit of that. Those were times I will never forget. We would always go on beer runs as the food was cooking and go around Hawaii drive. The drive was named after my mom asked my dad if they could go to Hawaii and dad simply looked at mom and said " Hell Glo, your on Hawaii drive". We have had a laugh of that for years, they even made a state sign from the Idaho Border to the bend going up Mountain Home. They were taken down I'm sure by someone that didn't see the humor.  Many meals were made with laughter and everyone getting thrown in the barrel of teasing. Mom would be up early to go to Logan to get the groceries to start cooking around 3ish. Ty to this day has always said we need to start the tradition back up. Life changes but family as stays the same. I'm hoping that next year we can introduce it to the next generation . 


 







As I was battling cancer, Dad was battling the caregiver role for my mom. She was diagnosed with Alzheimer's in her mid-70s, and on May 14, 2016, she went on to see her family, whom I know were waiting for her. Dad took such great care of my cute mom. She got to a point where she could drive because she really just couldn't. He would take her to La Tienda, sometimes three times a day. He gave his all for her because he loves her so very much. He left us a year later. I think he just missed Mom, and life was just not worth living without her. On Oct 7th, 2017, dad went looking for mom, and to this day, I know that was a beautiful moment that they both had each other back. 

We had the best family, thanks to them both; they raised three amazing women who knew how to work, be kind, love, and push through life the best they could. Thank you both for always and ever, till I see you again.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Memories of a childhood

I had to be around 3 years old when this was taken. As I'm going through and trying to remember my early years, they seem to just be mis...